Sunday, September 9, 2007

Cheese and wine

I have a female friend with whom I get on very well. She's got a very strong character and I don't think she realises how attractive I find that. The only problem is that when we argue/discuss, we rarely find common ground since neither of us is willing to concede any ground. So we were discussing my intention to look into the person of Jesus by starting to read an apologetics book. She couldn't understand why on earth I was so anti-church in many ways and why I felt the need to start reading into this on my own first of all. I tried to explain that my approach was one of starting at the bottom in order to build up from a basis of "who Jesus is" then confronting Him and then following Him (hey, let's be honest about the desired outcome of this journey). Be she started to accuse me of not believing in the power of preaching, that I wasn't open to the possibilities of God using preaching to speak to me (nice reformed evangelical girl that she is). If the truth be told, I'm not sure if I do believe in all that in the state I'm in at the moment. So if you're reading this (you know who you are), that's one of the reasons.
Let's just say we agreed to disagree...

No comments: