Tuesday, September 4, 2007

In the beginning...

I'm not quite sure why I'm starting this blog. I guess it's because I want to record an account of my pilgrimage or lack thereof. I suppose I'd describe myself as a "struggling Christian" at the moment, slightly on the verge of falling off the Gospel wagon, but less so since about a week ago.

I hope to record my thoughts about various issues (I nearly wrote "spiritual and non-spiritual" but remembered I don't believe in there being a division!) and my progress or regress as regards my soul. In the word of an ex housemate: "Fun and games"...

Regarding the title, "Dicebamus hesterna die", it means "As we were saying yesterday". It was spoken by a great thinker called Fray Luis de Leon, professor in the University of Salamanca. In 1573, he was arrested by the Spanish Inquisition (no Monty Python quotes, please!) for daring to translate The Song of Solomon and The Book of Job into Spanish. Five years later he returned to his lecture theatre, placed his books on the lectern and uttered the memorable words above.

No comments: